Friday, February 12, 2016

Hello and Goodbye from north-central Laos!

[Tim]

We flew up to Hanoi on Tet Holiday, which turned out to not be such a bad idea.  After 36 hours or so, though, we'd had enough and got on another plane for a ride of similar length.  Only this time, we flew west into landlocked Laos.

There are stories to tell.  Janet wanted to book rooms ahead.  Tim was just sure that there would be plenty of rooms available.  Tim prevailed.  There were no rooms.  Tim's desire for spontaneous lodging options doesn't get to prevail anymore, for the rest of the trip.  We did get a good room for the second and third days in Laos, but that first night was a doozy.

Luang Prabang is beautiful and bulging at the seams with tourists.  Of which, we are 7.  My dad flew ahead to Chiangmai today, so now it's a traveling party of 5 Chases, my mom (who is also a Chase, so I guess that makes us 6 Chases), and Amanda.  Amanda came to visit us and is now going home to Thailand with us, in our next leg of the journey.  Overland in Lao.

I'm giddy with the excitement of it.  Tomorrow at 8am we will go down to meet our boat.  It would have cost the 7 of us around $450 to buy seats on a boat that holds 40.  But instead, we have CHARTERED  a boat for around the same price.  So exciting!!

Tomorrow morning I am boarding a boat on the Mekong River and traversing north-central Laos over to Thailand on a 3-day trip.  Yes, I just wrote that again because it is so exciting.  This hasn't been on my bucket list for my whole life, but I've been really, really looking forward to it ever since I realized it could be a possibility.

See you when I get to Thailand!

~Tim

The boat on the left is the type that we've chartered:

No comments:

Post a Comment